According to MHFA England, Suicide is the leading cause of death for those aged 5-19. These sorts of figures help us realize that young people are just as vulnerable to experiencing mental health issues as adults. Just as it is essential to educate adults about responding to mental health issues, teaching children foundational knowledge about mental health from a young age is crucial in improving the quality of life for others.
Following the pandemic and lockdowns over the past year, the number of young people experiencing mental health issues have risen to become an epidemic across the UK. Modern pressures of social media, bullying and isolation all contribute to this, along with few professional mental health support services being accessible to young people.
At Healthbox we're offering the chance to book onto a 2-day Youth MHFA course to support people working with children aged 8-18, helping to provide support and guidance for improving poor mental health in young people. The course is delivered by our own qualified trainer Laura Turner, and can also be split into 4 half days, allowing you to participate and keep up with your day-to-day tasks.
During the course you will be watching and discussing videos, learning independently and working within groups. You're supplied with a workbook for learning exercises and a manual to take home, which contains much of the key information learnt during the course.
Pictured below is an exercise from the course, as participants were tasked with creating an imaginary child as a case study to help participants to understand the complexity of mental health issues in young people. This is just one example of an interactive aspect of the course.
Learning techniques such as ALGEE, and concepts like the Stress Container can also help you deal with personal mental health issues, and for a full description of what MHFA is and my personal experience taking part in an adult MHFA course, consider reading an earlier blog we've done on the topic.
So far, we've delivered the course to staff from Bishops Heber High in Malpas, Tushingham Primary, Tilston primary, Shocklach Oviatt, Farndon and Bickerton primary at the Cock O'Barton restaurant. Below is some feedback from participants.
- "It was a well run course and Laura and Soo were very knowledgeable and approachable with questions. The content was in depth but accessible to all. Very glad to finally have a face to face course! Thank you."
- The course was delivered well . The course leaders were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Recommend the course to others.
- "This was a very useful and thorough course and I thought Laura was incredibly knowledgeable and expressed the content cogently. She was fabulous. Soo was good and also clearly very insightful on the topics."
- Standard Cost - £150.
- Course delivered by qualified trainer Laura Turner.
- Course can be adapted to be bespoke to the needs of each group.
- This course was funded by the Westminster Foundation.
If you have any questions, or wish to enquire about booking please email us via firstname.lastname@example.org. To read more on Healthbox courses, health and wellbeing, or our weekly Tasty Tuesday recipes, consider visiting our blog. If you’re interested in signing up to one of our wellness workshops, please visit The Bubble. For Healthbox news, projects and information about us, visit our website.