1 onion (peeled and chopped)
2 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
1 stick of celery
200g mushrooms (optional)
250g dried green lentils
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp of tomato puree
250g spaghetti (wholemeal or plain)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
1) Place the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, celery and a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt over a medium heat and cook for 5-10 mins until soft.
2) Add in the mushrooms (if using), paprika, cumin and black pepper for another 3 minutes before adding in the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, water and lentils, cook for 30-35 minutes until the lentils are really soft.
3) Whilst the lentil sauce is cooking, place the pasta in the pan of water over a medium heat and cook per instructions on the pack.
4) Once cooked, drain and remove – keeping some of the drained water
5) Once the pasta sauce is ready, add the drained pasta into the pan, along with a little of the water if you feel the sauce needs breaking up a bit.
6) Give everything a really good stir before serving.