This versatile dish can be adapted to swap in different vegetable or meat options, depending on your preference and goes well with a side of coleslaw, corn on the cob and more!
Calzone Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4 wholewheat tortillas
- 80g of grated cheese (reduced fat, if possible)
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 2 thinly sliced peppers (red, green, yellow, or orange)
- 150g of sliced mushrooms
- ½ a diced-up onion (red or brown)
You can swap the toppings with any preferred vegetables.
Homemade Coleslaw Ingredients: (Optional) Serves 4
- 4 cups of finely shredded cabbage (purple or green)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (red or brown)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (light mayonnaise, if possible)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon of Italian mixed herbs (optional)
Method: Pizza Calzone
- Once the peppers, mushrooms, and onions are chopped, place on a baking sheet to grill for 4-5 minutes, turning once. After 4-5 minutes, add the 4 chopped tomatoes and keep on a low heat.
- Place a tortilla into a frying pan and sprinkle ¼ of the cheese over the top. Cook over a medium heat until melted for approximately 30 seconds.
- Add a quarter of the vegetable mixture to one side of the tortilla, then fold it in half. Cook for approximately 20 seconds.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.
Method: Homemade Coleslaw
- Chop the cabbage finely, grate the carrot, and thinly slice the onions.
- Place the cabbage, carrot, and onions into a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients and gently mix until all shredded cabbage is coated with the dressing.
- The coleslaw is now ready to enjoy alongside the pizza calzones.
Please visit the recipes section of our blog every week for more nutritious meals and food ideas. If you're looking for tips and useful advice on nutrition and dieting, or to sign up to one of our health and wellbeing workshops visit The Bubble and the Healthbox website.