Peanut butter adds creaminess and taste for a healthy yet hearty gluten-free dinner!
- 500g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 red chilli, deseeded for less spice
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 400g leeks, thickly sliced
- 2 peppers, deseeded and diced
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, about 400g, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (with no sugar or palm oil)
- 320g broccoli, to serve (or a vegetable of your choice)
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cook the potatoes in a steamer for 15 mins until tender. Meanwhile, start the chicken filling. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the ginger and chilli, and stir over a medium heat until starting to soften. Stir in the dried spices, leeks and peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened.
2. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it begins to colour, then tip in the tomatoes, squeeze in some tomato purée and add the stock and 150ml water. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
3. Mix the peanut butter with 100ml water, then stir into the stew and cook for 5 mins more. Spoon the mixture equally into two 24 x 18cm shallow pie dishes.
4. For the mash, tip the beans into a bowl, add the coriander and chilli powder and mash well. Add the steamed potatoes and roughly mash into the beans so it still has a little texture. Pile on top of the filling in the pie dishes and carefully spread over the filling to enclose it. Bake one of the pies for 35 mins.
5. Meanwhile, cook half of the broccoli or side of your choice and serve with the pie. Chill the other pie with the remaining broccoli for another day. Will keep chilled for up to three days. Reheat the remaining pie as above, adding an extra 15 mins to the cooking time.
(Recipe taken from BBC Good Food: Chilli chicken & peanut pies recipe | BBC Good Food)
Please visit the recipes section of our blog every week for more nutritious meals and food ideas. If you're looking for tips and useful advice on nutrition and dieting, or to sign up to one of our health and wellbeing workshops visit The Bubble and the Healthbox website.